Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lemony Blueberry Scones

I'm Into Something Good by Herman's Hermits
The Olympics have me thinking of England much more than usual.  I have found myself wishing, more than a few times, that I had had enough foresight to get tickets to be over there to enjoy all the festivities.  But I didn't.  So I will sit here in the United States and console myself with Lemony Blueberry Scones and snappy tunes by Herman's Hermits - you know, those cute boys from Manchester.  One taste and something will be telling you that you're "into something good."  Make that something REALLY good!

When I watch the Olympics I find myself wondering in which of the events I'd most likely be a participant.  I'm short so I spend most of the time trying to picture myself as a gymnast.  I did enjoy the uneven parallel bars in gym class in junior high.  But, seeing as how I'm one of the clumsiest people to walk the face of the earth, I always end up crossing it off the list of potentials.  

Too bad there aren't events such as "Food Pondering," and "Recipe Meddling"(pun intended).  I'd be right there.  And I've been in training for the past few weeks.



Blueberries are still flooding the farmers markets and grocery stores and that's a very good thing!  Bring'em on!

While practicing "Food Pondering," I came up with another goodie in which to tuck those little "bluedies" (my grandson's name for blueberries.)  Scones!  Remember the Bacon and Cheddar Scones?  I did some "Recipe Meddling" and got to thinking about what I'd need to change about that recipe to make it suitable for a blueberry theme.  I didn't want to change too much because they're so moist and yummy as is.  All I ended up doing was sweetening up the dough a bit, adding some lemon to boost the blueberry flavor, and added a little more oomph with some nutmeg.  The outcome?  A gold medal!

If you want to hear people chanting your name and cheering you on, make a dash and get these scones in the oven!

Lemony Blueberry Scones
Printable Recipe Card
makes 8 wedges
3 c. flour (375 g)
1 t. salt
1 t. nutmeg
1 T. baking powder
1/2 c. sugar (85 g)
3/4 c. butter, cold and cut into pcs. (170 g) (1 1/2 sticks)
zest from one lemon
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 c. + 2 T. heavy cream, divided
1 t. vanilla
1 c. blueberries
Turbinado sugar

Glaze:
Juice from 1/2 lemon
powdered sugar, about 1 cup
1 T. butter, melted

In a large mixer bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, sugar, and lemon zest, using the sugar to rub down the zester to get all the essence of the lemon into the dough.  Add the cold butter pieces and mix on low until the butter is the size of peas.

In a smaller bowl, combine the egg, egg yolk, cream, and vanilla.

Add the egg mixture to the butter/flour mixture and mix until just starting to come together.  Scoop the dough out onto parchment paper and gently fold the berries into the dough until well distributed.  Do not over mix.

Shape the dough into a round disk about 8 inches in diameter.  Divide the dough into 8 equal pie wedges.  Wrap the dough in the parchment paper then wrap again in plastic wrap.  Chill or freeze.

To bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Place the scone wedges on a parchment lined sheet tray, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
Brush the tops with heavy cream then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown, turning the pan halfway through baking time.  If they start to brown too quickly on the bottom, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F until cooked through the  middle.  Cool.  Brush with lemon glaze and serve.  Cheers will soon follow!


No comments:

Post a Comment