makes 4 cups rice, 8 servings
2 cups rice
3 c. water
The ratio is 1 part rice to 1.5 parts liquid
1. Put rice in a strainer and rinse with cool water until the water runs clear. This washes away the starch and keeps the rice from becoming gummy.
2. Place rinsed rice in a pan over HIGH HEAT and add the water. Don't stir.
3. Bring to a boil and boil until "steam vents" appear on the surface. Still - do NOT stir.
4. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and reduce the heat to low.
5. Cook over low for 12 minutes. Do not be tempted to lift the lid!
6. After 12 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
You can also use other liquids in which to cook the rice to add flavor, such as chicken or beef stock or coconut milk.
Add aromatics to the cooking liquid such as slices of ginger, onion, fresh herbs, citrus. Remove when serving.