Thursday, March 29, 2012

Savory Scones, British Style!

I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred
Don't laugh!  I tried to come up with a different song!  But if you had been able to vicariously taste the buttery and smoky flavors of this scone when I took my first sample taste - feel the tender flakiness of the crumb as it melted in my mouth - you would have had the same thought I did!  That being "This scone is far too good-tasting for it's own good!"  You'd never know just how terrific it really was just by looks - not to say that it looks shabby in the least!  It's just so incredibly tender, moist, and flaky!


Scones really weren't part of my world until I moved from Pennsylvania out to Utah after I graduated from high school.  And suddenly I was hearing about them alot!  My future mother-in-law made them one night and I was delighted with this new treat.  Little pillows of fried roll dough slathered with honey butter!  What's not to like, right?

Years later, however, I heard some people talking about scones and the one asked the other to clarify as to which kind of scone they were referring.  Now, wait a minute!  There were other types of scones?  I listened (ok - eavesdropped) further and learned that a scone could also be a biscuit type of bread which is baked, not deep-fried.  Apparently this is how the British fix them. Interesting.

One day I was able to taste one of the British variety.  I was not impressed.  Dry.  Bone dry.  And not much flavor.  It took me awhile to build up the desire to want to try them again.

But when I actually went to England and had a proper scone, I was converted!  They need not be dry and tasteless chunks of bread.  They most certainly can be buttery and flaky and mouth-wateringly delicious!  You just need to know the right techniques and have the right recipe!   And I've found a keeper!  You can make it sweet or savory - just add your preference to the basic recipe.  Oh me oh my!  The possibilities!  I really hope you find a minute very soon to try this savory version.  Bacon, Cheddar cheese, and green onions.  Make a whole recipe, divide into wedges, wrap and freeze, and then, when you want some for a meal, just take however many wedges you need and bake them up!  No need to thaw!  Brush with a little cream on top first.  You can get away with serving plain old scrambled eggs for dinner when you have one of these riding shotgun!  No butter or toppings will be necessary.  Just try to remember to breathe while you snarf it down!
Bacon and Cheddar Scones
printable recipe card
makes 8
3 c. flour (368.5 g)
1 t. salt
1 T. baking powder (14 g)
1/4 c. sugar (42.5 g)
3/4 c. butter, cold and cut into pcs. (170 g) (1 1/2 sticks)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 c. heavy cream
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 green onions, sliced thin

In a large mixer bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.  Add the cold butter pieces and mix on low until the size of peas.

In a smaller bowl, combine the egg, egg yolk, and cream.

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and butter and mix until just starting to incorporate.  Toss in the cheddar, bacon, and green onion slices.  Continue to mix until ingredients just come together.  Do not over mix.  If you look carefully, you can actually see small bits of butter.  That is perfect!

Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and shape into a circle about 1 inch thick.
Divide into wedges but keep together.  Wrap in the parchment and then in plastic wrap.  Chill or freeze until ready to use.

To bake:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place the scone wedges on a parchment lined tray, spaced about 2 inches apart, and brush the tops with cream.  Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.  Cool.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so yummy and I would love to freeze some now that we are empty nesters again! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly why I love making it! It freezes beautifully. Also it's nice to have something this tasty on hand for when someone just pops in unexpectedly!

    ReplyDelete