Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Miso Ginger Pork Marinade

 

Got It Good by Jem
Maybe it's the usual feeling of renewal and hopefulness that the spring season brings, but I'm feeling like good things are on their way.  And I'm not just talking about this recipe today.  Ok, I guess I am!  It is a good one that came to me in a flash.  And sometimes those flashes turn out really good.  I hope you think so, too!

You know how things not on your list 
make their way into your shopping cart?
Recently a three-pack of pork sirloin roasts 
found their way into mine.
They were separated and thrown into
the freezer for "some day."
Last week became that "some day" for one of those roasts.
I wasn't sure how I was going to prepare it 
but when it's turn on the weekly menu came 
around I settled on some skewers.


I don't think I've used pork on skewers before
so I thought about how I'd add flavor and what that
flavor would be.
I came up with these as starters.
Since I usually make my marinades by eye and estimations
I made sure I actually measured the ingredients
AND wrote them down.
I busted out a gallon storage bag and started
pulling out ingredients that went with the sake, Tamari, and miso paste.
The usual profiles I look for when creating a marinade are a fat, 
an acid, and some sweetness.
I think what I came up with is a real winner!
You'll find the sake in the liquor section of the store in the specialty wines.
The miso paste can be found in the asian food aisle or 
sometimes it's in the health food refrigerated area by the tofu.
Tamari is usually right by the soy sauce - and it's gluten free!
I prefer tamari because it's flavor is more mellow than soy sauce.
Please do not use toasted sesame oil, especially at that amount.
You will hate me and yourself, I promise.

I cut the pork roast into cubes and cut up some onions and 
bell peppers to join the party.
I had some grape tomatoes that needed used
so onto the skewers they went as well.
I used my broiler but the grill is just itching to
come out to play after a long winter's rest!
You don't even have to use skewers!
Just put the chunked up veggies with the meat
cubes in a roasting pan and broil away!
Broiling will give them gorgeous caramelized edges!

I hope you enjoy this lovely marinade - 
and don't think it can't be used for other
meats as well!


Miso Ginger Pork Marinade

1/4 cup sake (Japanese rice wine)
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 T. tamari (similar to soy sauce)
3 T. miso paste, I used a yellow one
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup untoasted sesame oil or avocado oil
2 T. honey
1 heaping teaspoon Chinese five spice blend

Simply squish the ingredients together in a storage bag or whisk together in a container.  Add your meat and let marinade for about 4 - 6 hours in the fridge.  Get out about an hour before cooking to let meat come to room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment