Thursday, October 5, 2017

Shaved Cauliflower Salad

Made In England by Elton John
Elton John and this Cauliflower Salad recipe - what do they have in common?  Well, they both have their origins in England!  And I like them both!  And they're both very interesting!  And I think I'll just get on with telling you about today's recipe!


Last month we went to London.
We had heard about a great exhibit
that the Victoria & Albert Museum
was putting together about
Pink Floyd.
It was going to be called
"Their Mortal Remains"
and all the press about it
sounded fantastic!
We were dying - we wanted to go real bad!
Was it crazy to want to fly across the
ocean to another country over
the love of a rock and roll band?
Probably!
Did we want to do it anyway?
Heck yes, we did!

We threw the idea out to some
friends of ours and they were
crazy enough to think it was worth
it as much as we did!
The next thing I knew,
we were planning an epic vacation
around this Pink Floyd journey.

AND IT WAS SO WORTH IT!

The museum did an outstanding job
curating all the memorabilia.
To make the occasion a little more fun,
we'd found an old photo of the
original Floydians -
Syd, Roger, Nick, and Richard -
and dressed up in outfits like they
were wearing in the picture!
We felt like we were being outrageous -
we barely turned a couple heads!
Haha!  London! 
I guess that city has seen everything!


We filled our days with all the city
sights and were usually
pretty tired and hungry at the end of the day.
About 4 days in I had had my
fill of fish and chips - not to say there's
anything wrong with the meal!
Quite the opposite!
I love me some tasty genuine 
fish and chips and mashy peas!
But, having been to England before,
I knew the Brits can cook up some
amazing food beside the traditional favorites!

We had already made our way back
to the flat we were renting
so we wanted something fairly close by.
And most of what we had passed between
our flat and the Gloucester Road tube station
were more pubs.
We started exploring our options
via Trip Advisor and Yelp
and I saw that a Gordon Ramsay restaurant -
Maze Grill Park Walk -
which got very good reviews - was
just a few blocks away - 
in the opposite direction than we usually took.

I lost my interest in hitting up celebrity
restaurants a few years ago after
getting several clinker meals at them.
But I was huuuuungry
and the menu looked so good!
I booked a table and we headed out.
It was so close!

I can't remember everything I ordered - 
but I will never forget the Shaved Cauliflower Salad!
I'm so glad I ordered the larger portion!
I'm pretty sure I made little
mewling sounds while I ate!
Who knew that such a simple combination
of a very few simple ingredients
could yield anything but a simple dish?

I knew I was going to have to make
this once I got back home.
I made it the other day and was
finishing up with it and taking the photos
when my sister popped in.
Neither of us had eaten so I shared.
She liked it!
Like ALOT!!!
It's always a good feeling when you
find happiness and then are able to share it!

And I'm sharing this happiness with you!
To shave my cauliflower,
I used a mandolin slicer.
But you can shave yours with a knife -
just cut your cauliflower as thin as you can get it!

Shaved Cauliflower Salad
serves 4 - 6

1/2 head cauliflower, trimmed of leaves and shaved or cut thin
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 - 3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt to taste

Combine the cauliflower, toasted almonds, fresh dill, and parmesan cheese in a bowl.  Toss to mix.  Pour the juice of the lemon over the mixture and then the olive oil.  Toss to mix well and coat the ingredients.  Taste and then add kosher salt to taste.  Serve within a couple hours.  

1 comment: