Monday, July 3, 2017

Berry Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats


Yankee Doodle Dandy by James Cagney
This was one of my favorite songs to sing when I was a little kid.  I mean, any song that has the word "doodle" in it is going to be fun to sing, right?  Just try to sing this and not feel happy!  And I am certainly happy and proud to be a Yankee.  Not as in the baseball team - but a true Yank!  I've been called a Yankee or Yank when I've been in the southern United States as I've always been a northerner.  I've also been called a Yank when traveling abroad.  And I own it loud and proud.  I hope you're celebrating this great nation this Independence Day!

This might very well be the most
dangerous post I've ever done!
I'm happy to report that my
eyelashes are working just fine 
and doing what they're put there to do!

Let me explain!


When I decided that I wanted to do a
patriotic themed Rice Krispie Treat
I was thinking freeze-dried berries
to represent the red, white, and blue.
I knew they sold them at Target.
And then one day I got the idea - 

POP ROCKS!!!

It was one of those thoughts that,
once it showed up in my head,
nothing else would do.

But where have all the Pop Rocks gone?!?!
Certainly around the 4th of July they should
be in every store, right?

No!!!

Every store I visited said they 
didn't carry them.
And after they said that, the store clerk stared off into
space as I saw
them reeling back the years
to their childhood and their own fond
Pop Rocks memories.
"We should carry them though!", 
they'd say with a sigh.

YES, YOU SHOULD!!

But I did finally find them.
At a regional grocery store here
in the Pacific Northwest called Yokes.
At the checkout stand!
Holla!!

So I set about making these goodies up.

As I sprinkled on the blasting candies,
I was not prepared for the immediate action!
I usually pour them into my mouth so
I wasn't aware that they actually LAUNCH!
The Rice Krispie Treat acted as a
launch pad for these NASA rockets!
They were flying all over!
And, luckily, I have quick eyelashes
as they not only blocked but
grabbed and held onto one of the missiles!
I'm not sure but I think one of these
IN your eye would not be pleasant!

So, please make these treats,
but if you use the Pop Rocks,
and you definitely should,
be alerted to their popping nature.
I mean, it IS part of their name!
That should have been my first clue!


Berry Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
printable recipe card

4 cups Rice Krispie cereal (119 g)
1 package freeze-dried strawberries
1 package freeze-dried blueberries
1 packet strawberry Pop Rocks
10 oz. mini-marshmallows
3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup cream of coconut
pinch of kosher salt
zest of two lemons, divided
2 ounces almond bark or white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon coconut oil

Prepare your pan by liberally greasing the bottom and sides with butter.  I use a plastic baggie over my hand to do this and then save the baggie for smushing the prepared mixture into the pan.  Set aside.

Put the strawberries in a gallon zip-loc bag and squeeze air out and zip close.  Use a rolling pin or heavy object and crush the berries into 1/4-1/2" pieces.  Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and empty the crushed berries into the strainer.  Shake and let all the fine powder fall into the bowl below.
This is important because it helps keep the look of the treat more "clean."  When the powder of the berries is added it will create a more purple treat - which is fine but not very patriotic!  Do the same with the blueberries.  I'd use that leftover berry powder in a smoothie or as part of the flour in pancakes!

Combine the big pieces of berries with the cereal in a bowl.  You should have about 6 cups of berry/cereal mixture.  Add a pinch of kosher salt to the bowl.  Set aside.

In a large pot, melt the butter and add the mini-marshmallows.  Stir over medium high heat until well melted.  Turn off the heat and stir in the cream of coconut and the zest from one of the lemons.  Stir well.  Add the cereal/berry mixture and stir until evenly coated.  Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan, whichever size you choose to use.  Use the saved buttery baggie to push the mixture evenly into the pan.  Set aside.

Place the almond bark or white chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until melted, stirring after each 30 second interval.  It should take 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir in the coconut oil and the zest from the other lemon.  Place in a pastry bag and snip the tip off.  Top the Rice Krispie Treats with a zigzag pattern from corner to corner on the diagonal.  Open the pack of the Pop Rocks and sprinkle over the top of the icing.  And stand back!  Place in the fridge or freezer to help the icing firm up - about 5 - 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and then cut into bars.  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment