Thursday, June 15, 2017

Honey and Spice Pork Roast


Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
My husband just fell off his chair in shock - I can guarantee that.  I can foresee the future!  I can already hear the "WHOA!" from the den when he reads this.  My children - and grandchildren - across the western United States most likely also issued words of surprise. You see it's a well-known fact in my family that I've never learned to appreciate Tom Petty's music.  But my husband is a fan in a very BIG way!  And because Father's Day is this weekend and he is an amazing father, I give this recipe and post to him.  And all the other men out there who seem to find an emotional connection with this song!


My husband's fierce love of Tom Petty's music
instilled in him the mission to be sure
his grandchildren were fans as well.
He starts young.
Like birth.

His method has worked.
I believe they all love Tom Petty
to differing degrees.
But he struck gold with our 
third grandson.
This kid is obsessed - and he's only six years old!
He has known the words to
"Free Fallin'," "Mary Jane's Last Dance," 
and "I Won't Back Down" for
the past couple years.
My husband is super proud 
of his accomplishment!

As a matter of fact, 
Petty is coming to Seattle
for a concert in August and all
of my Washington family have tickets - including 
my 10 and 6 year old grandsons!
I will be shopping!

I have one song that I enjoy
listening to.
My love for Stevie Nicks makes
"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"
a pleasure!

Although giving Tom Petty a spot
in my blog's playlist might be enough
to make my husband happy,
I've also come up with a recipe
to cook up a pork roast that
will make his day as well.
This will actually be a 
two-part post.
I'll give you the recipe to cook
up the pork this week.
And, believe me, you're going to want to!
Cook up two while you're at it
and put the leftovers in the freezer
for next week's post.
Just do it.

The spice rub is similar to the one
I posted with my Father's Day Ribs
five years ago but still enough
difference to warrant a new recipe.
I swapped out a few ingredients.
The big difference came when a
thought popped into my head
just before rubbing the roast down.

HONEY

From nowhere I got the idea
to rub the roast down with honey first.
Why not?
I shrugged my shoulders and proceeded to
lather up the meat with about 3 tablespoons
of beautiful dark local honey.
After that I got up close and
personal with that roast while
applying the rub.
I think the honey helped that rub
mix stick really well!
A seven hour appointment
with the crockpot and this guy
just fell apart!
Basically, I reached in and pulled out
the bone and then took my fork and
just stirred.  The meat just gave in
and mixed with the juices in the pot.

At this point, the options are endless
as to what you can do with it.
Or simply eat it as is -
by the forkful -
which is what I can't seem to stop doing myself!!
And next week I'll share what
started the whole quest to experiment with a
new shredded pork recipe.
Stay Tuned!

Honey and Spice Pork Roast

1 2-3 lb pork shoulder roast, bone in
3 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons cumin
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place the dry spices and herbs in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  Set aside.

Rub the roast all over with the honey.  Sprinkle half the spice mix over the roast and rub.  Turn the roast over and repeat on the other side with the remaining mix.  Be sure to coat the sides of the roast as well.  Place in a crock pot and cover and cook on high for 6 hours.  Turn to low and cook for another 1 - 2 hours.  Remove the bone and, using a fork, stir to shred the meat.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment