Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pumpkin & Spice Shake

Let's Get It Started by The Black Eyed Peas
Today's recipe is one of my newest favorite breakfasts.  It makes me hap-hap-happy and ready to "get it started."  You'll be dancing with will.i.am and the rest of the gang in no time.  Items on your "to do" list will be falling like pianos, houses, and cars.  Just watch the video.  But make your shake first - you know, so you have the energy to . . . well, shake!  Let's get it started!


Everybody is going to be having some pumpkin 
around the house in the next several weeks.
It's the star veggie of the holidays!
And if you find you've got about 1/2 cup extra and 
don't know what to do with it -
for heaven's sake -
make this shake!


I've been preparing several of the recipes from The Digest Diet lately.
They are packed with nutrition and made
with real food.
It's all about making the most out of each calorie you eat.
The shakes are my favorite.
And this Pumpkin & Spice shake is my variation on their theme.

I use canned plain pumpkin puree - and I think that
that is what most people have access to.
This recipe takes about one-third of a 15 oz. can.
I transfer the rest to a plastic container with a lid.
Yes - you don't have to wait for leftover pumpkin - 
open a can just for this shake!

As far as the other ingredients,
I use my own Homemade Yogurt.  It's not exactly
"nonfat" but it's what I usually have on hand.
But on the odd day when I don't have homemade
on hand, I do use a nonfat Greek store 
brand like Fage or Greek Gods.
In choosing your yogurt, make sure it has 
live active cultures for the best health benefits.
I've been told that five different bacteria is 
the optimum amount.
Just look on the ingredient labels.
No bacteria listed?
Despite claims that they are an authentic Greek
healthy yogurt, I pass.
I want those bacteria listed loud and proud!

I think the use of the nonfat dry milk powder is what
sets this shake apart from other shakes or smoothies.
It really gives you that full-bodied flavor.
I've listed the flaxseed meal as optional.
It will definitely thicken the shake up -
it depends on the day and my mood whether
I add it or not.
Flaxseed is a powerhouse food - it packs omega 3 fatty acids, 
fiber, and some claim it even reduces hot flashes!
It's also a source of protein!

So get your day started with some Pumpkin & Spice for breakfast
and keep it rolling with some at lunchtime, too!
Why not?
It's a great "to go" food!

Pumpkin & Spice Shake
makes 1 serving
Printable Recipe Card
1/2 c. plain pumpkin puree, I use canned
3/4 c. plain nonfat Greek yogurt (6 oz.)
1/4 c. lite coconut milk
3 T. nonfat dry milk powder
1 T. creamy natural peanut butter
2 - 3 t. honey
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. ground ginger
1 T. ground flaxseed meal (optional)
one handful crushed ice

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend at low for 1 minute to get that ice chopped up good and then at high for 2 minutes.  Pour into a large glass and sprinkle with some extra cinnamon on top, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment