Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pumpkin Pancakes

Autumn Leaves by Eric Clapton
Our leaves are just starting to turn here in the pacific northwest.  And it's a melancholy feeling.  I'm caught between the sadness of seeing the long, hot days of summer go away and the excitement of seeing family and friends throughout the upcoming holiday season.   A wistful song seems to satisfy my mood.  Many artists have covered this song and I love them all - mostly because it's an exquisite piece of music.  Nat King Cole gives a grand studio performance - classic.  Eva Cassidy does a mournful and soulful cover that makes me want to cry - in a good way.  Miles Davis' rendition is a little sexy - maybe too sexy for pancakes.  But Eric Clapton's version is so intimate.  It feels like he is sitting right there with you.  And this is a scenario that I can picture quite readily.  Me sitting there enjoying these delicious Pumpkin Pancakes, while he serenades me with his impeccable guitar skills.  Wistful - melancholy - yes, it must be autumn!


One of the best things about this time of year is the arrival of 
PUMPKINS!!

I have found some really great ways to incorporate pumpkin in some of my recipes lately.
This recipe today is just one of them.
And I'm happy to share!

The traditional Halloween night dinner I made for my kids, and they mostly ignored
in their scramble to get out the door, was hot dogs and macaroni and cheese.
Yes, the Kraft in a box macaroni and cheese.
I'm thinking that these pancakes would be a more welcome lure to the table.
Served up with a little bacon, of course.
A glass of milk or hot cider (if it's nippy out there) and they'll be
fueled for an evening of fun!


The children have moved on and my house is quiet now.
So quiet, in fact, that as I made these pancakes this morning 
I actually HEARD the bubbles form and pop as they cooked on the griddle.
Now, that's quiet!

You don't have to wait for Halloween to fix these.
You don't need a reason at all - other than that you're hungry!
Plan these for your next breakfast - or dinner!
Turn the music on and just enjoy good food and 
count your blessings!

Pumpkin Pancakes
makes 10 -  4" pancakes
Printable Recipe Card
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour (160 g)
2 T. flaxseed meal
1 T. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ginger
1/2 t. salt
pinch of cloves
2/3 c. pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 T. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 T. vegetable oil
1 c. milk (any kind, I used skim)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and cloves.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, vegetable oil, and milk.  Add these wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Ladle out desired amount of batter and cook until bubbles start to appear and pop.  When the underside is golden brown, flip and cook the other side for another minute or two until golden brown.  Remove from griddle and repeat until batter is gone.

Top with butter and golden maple syrup!  Toss some toasted nuts on top for extra measure!




No comments:

Post a Comment