Monday, September 3, 2012

Brownie Truffles

I know, I know.  The Stylistics were the original artists who released the song in 1974.  But, you see, I have this thing for Simply Red.  Can't explain it. Not gonna make excuses either.  The nod goes to Mick Hucknall's vocals today.  When he sings I kinda feel like a truffle - and that's all I'm gonna say about that!  Get those brownie scraps from out of the freezer and play this song.  They'll be room temp in no time!

Remember these brownie scraps from the Ramped Up Brownie Mix?
I had strongly urged you to save the scraps after cutting fun shapes from the cooked brownies.  I hope you did just that because today we're going to use those scraps!


I had enough scraps to fill a gallon-sized freezer bag halfway.  After they thawed I dumped them into my mixer bowl and added about 4 oz. of mascarpone cheese.  Mascarpone cheese is an italian cheese similar to cream cheese - only it's not as tart and it has a slightly lighter consistency.

After I added the mascarpone, I put my paddle attachment on and beat the scraps and cheese for about 1 minute.  Yep!  Just a minute gets you a mixture like this!
It looks like raw cookie dough, right?  But it's not!  Snack away!  No worries about raw eggs here!  That's what makes them so perfect for truffles.

Take a scoop - about 2 tablespoon size - and start scooping and rolling!  I lined a 1/4 sheet tray with parchment paper and rolled until I was out of dough.
After this I wrapped the tray well with plastic wrap and put them in the freezer.  You can also use the fridge if you're using them up soon.  Chilling is important because it helps them keep their shape.  I think they taste best when served chilled (not frozen.)  It's very much like sinking your teeth into some fudge.

When they are chilled, you can decorate as you like.  I played around with different coatings and toppings.  The picture at the top is of some brownie truffles I made for a wedding reception not long ago.  Pretty, right?

You can also use the metallic decorating powder found in the cake decorating aisle.  
Great for an awards party!  Gold, silver, and bronze!  I rolled the truffle in a small pile of the powder then used a pastry brush to smooth it around.
These are rolled in a mixture of half powdered sugar, half cocoa powder - for those who don't like the more bittersweet flavors.
Rolled in straight coco powder - for those who DO like the bittersweet flavors!
Rolled in jimmies in purple shades.  This is my personal favorite.
Rolled in straight powdered sugar.  I think these have the potential of being messy.  I picture a big white powdery mess down my front!

You can also add flavorings to the mix along with the mascarpone cheese.  I would suggest cinnamon, coffee-flavored syrup, almond extract, vanilla extract, rum extract, orange zest, cardamom, ... really - you could do so much.  These brownies had chocolate chips in them so so do these truffles.  I'm sure you could come up with some amazing add-ins!

Some of you may be thinking - but truffles from ganache are just as easy!  Would you really make brownies just to make these truffles?  My answer to that question is --- yes, I would!  They are that good!

Brownie Truffles
makes 3 1/2 dozen
Printable Recipe Card
1/2 gallon-sized bag of brownie scraps
4 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened
extracts or add-ins like chocolate chips or dried cherries

Place room temp brownie scraps in mixer bowl with mascarpone cheese and any flavorings or add-ins. Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute until a uniform "dough" is formed.

Roll into 1 1/2" balls and place on lined sheet tray.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill.  Embellish as desired.  Serve chilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment