Thursday, June 22, 2017

Piggy Piggy Tacos

If You're Gonna Play In Texas (You Gotta Have A Fiddle In The Band) by Alabama
Today's post originated as I sat in a taco shop while visiting my daughter in Texas a few weeks back.  I was in the process of thanking the Lord that I was introducing corn back into my diet and that it was going well - and that I got to enjoy the end results of some really great culinary thinking!  A song about Texas was in order.  And this just happens to be one of my favorites!  And if you're gonna eat in Texas - you gotta really like to eat good food!

My daughter and her family
moved to the Dallas area about a year 
and a half ago.
They, in fact, live on the very 
southern edge of Plano.
It's a much further commute to see them
than when they lived in the Salt Lake City area.
And, for this reason,
I don't get to see them as often.
(Insert HUGE sad face here.)

The plus side of the situation
is that we're all getting to know 
a new part of the country - 
well - new to us.
We've visited before,
but only briefly.

Now, the strategy seems to be
that they search and explore
and then, when we come to visit,
they share the best parts of
what they've found.
That's a pretty sweet setup, don't you think?


Of course, me being fairly
interested in all things in the 
culinary world,
they scope out some great food places.
Not just restaurants
 but amazing markets as well!

This last visit turned into a
burger and taco adventure- 
more by happenstance than design.
Nevertheless - I had some
really great meals!!

And one of the best was at a
place called Torchy's Tacos.
They hit all the marks - 
creative menu with entertaining
names for the selections,
trendy and fun decor,
helpful staff to patiently
explain things to us 
northerners.
I was fairly hungry so I ordered two -
The Rebel Yell and the Crossroads.
The decision was difficult - 
only reached by promising myself
that I could and would return
to taste the others.

They were both equally good.
More on the phenomenal scale, actually.
And I studied what they were doing.
Taking the taco idea and 
being fairly non-traditional
about what happened between the shells.
I could do this.
I HAD to do this.
And that's how we got today's recipe.

I realized that you needed to start
with a really special protein
base - or at least the star ingredient
needed to be special.
So last week I gave you the
star for these tacos -
I told you to make two
or at least save some for this week.
I hope you listened!

I added some bacon as well.
I contemplated adding some diced
ham as well.
But you can go as "hog wild" as you like!
I used a cabbage slaw,
but if your preference is lettuce, 
go for it!

The end result was happiness!
These just might help me make
it until my next trip to Torchy's!
And you can bet I'll be 
thinking up new fillings as well!

Piggy Piggy Tacos

small corn tortillas
avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
cabbage slaw
white onion, small diced
bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
shredded monterey jack cheese
cilantro
radishes, thinly sliced

It's merely a matter of assembling great ingredients.  I like to start my tacos by being sure the cheese is under the hot meat, that way it helps make it melty.
I warmed the tortillas in the microwave by wrapping them in a paper towel and heating for about 10 - 20 seconds.  These are the really small street taco sized corn tortillas.  I made a small bed of the slaw and then topped with a small bed of the cheese.

Next came the shredded pork, some of the slaw sauce, the onions, and the cilantro.  I then slid a slice of avocado down into one side of the fillings and some radish slices into the other side.  Then there was nothing left to do but fold and tuck in to them!  Soooo good!

I'll share my slaw sauce - 
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
pinch of kosher salt

If you like it more thick, add more mayo!









No comments:

Post a Comment