Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Muddy Buddy Rice Krispie Treats

We're Going to Be Friends by The White Stripes
I LOOOOVE this song!  It recalls school days - early school days for me.  Not because the song was popular in my elementary days - Jack White wasn't even alive back then!  But it's skippy, happy-go-lucky rhythm makes me think of the days when I'd walk over to play at my friends' houses.  There were four of us that were good friends - myself, Kathie, Meg, and Julie - and we lived in a teeny tiny little town in Pennsylvania nestled around the Allegheny National Forest. We loved to jump rope, play house, or meet at the playground.  This song about friends just floods my mind with memories of those childhood friends.  And Rice Krispie Treats are for kids, right?  I'm finding out that that may not necessarily be so!

I'm continuing with my 
Rice Krispie Treat 
experimentation for my
daughter's "wedding cake."

This one isn't too inventive
but I did have to do a few batches to
get the ratio just right.
The first batch was too hard
to bite into.
The reasons were twofold.


Firstly, I melted chocolate chips but
didn't use enough butter
to keep the chocolate soft.
So when they cooled,
the chocolate hardened up 
too much, making them difficult 
to eat.  They were also dry.

Secondly, I cut them too big.
The same size as the Lemon Lavender ones,
but that's just too big of a bite
with the hardened chocolate.

A friend mentioned a different
way to shape these treats
and it got me to thinking that
it would be a pretty display
if they were different shapes.

So I came up with this flat
version for these -
and I'm super happy with them!
I buttered a bread pan
and lined it with a piece of parchment
paper just big enough to give me
some handles to help lift 
out the treats when they were cooled.
I sliced them into 12 equal portions,
laid them on a sheet tray
and drizzled away with melted 
peanut butter chips and 
milk chocolate chips (no added
butter so they would set up again.)

Of course, we needed a sprinkle of
powdered sugar to give them the
true Muddy Buddy look!

It's all about perfect ratios!
And I think I have this one down!
They are so moist!
And decadent!
Truly gonna be one of 
my favorite
guilty pleasures!
And it's so quick!!

I'm still on that Autoimmune Protocol
diet so I had to keep my sampling to a 
minimum - but these were extremely hard
to resist!  I finally had to find
a home for them elsewhere!!!

Muddy Buddy Rice Krispie Treats
makes 12

6 cups Rice Krispie cereal (165 g)
1 - 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided 
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/4 cup powdered sugar
butter for pan

Prepare your pan by coating it with butter.  Use a sandwich baggie as a glove to smear it around.  Save the baggie to use to press the mixture into the pan later.  I used a bread loaf pan to get the shape in the picture but you can shape them any way you'd like.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 5 Tablespoons of the butter with the peanut butter and 1 cup of the milk chocolate chips.  Stir until smooth and set aside.

In a large pot, melt the remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter and add the mini marshmallows and stir over medium heat until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.  Stir the mixture from the saucepan in and mix to combine evenly.  Add the Rice Krispie cereal and stir to coat evenly with the mixture.

Place mixture into the prepared pan.  Use the already buttery sandwich bag "glove" to press the mixture evenly around the pan.  Set aside to cool.

Place the peanut butter chips into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 1 - 1/2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds until melted.  Do the same in another bowl with the milk chocolate chips.  Place each in their own pastry bag and snip off the tip.  Drizzle over the top in whatever pattern you like.  Let the drizzles set up - it helps if you put the treats in a fridge.  It speeds it up a bit.  Sprinkle over the top with the powdered sugar through a sieve.  Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment