Thursday, September 19, 2013

Olive, Garlic, and Wheat Rounds

Around the Bend by The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
I had my friends over for lunch yesterday and my friend, Lara, brought along her daughter, Emily.  I introduced you to Emily in my post about the Almond Joy Tarts.  I had mentioned at the time how Emily has introduced me to some amazingly great music.  Well, she sat there quietly with us older ladies, listening as we discussed food, boobs, food, summer trips, and, well --- more food!  It's what we do!  When there was a few seconds pause, she quickly piped up about a band she wanted me to listen to.  The Asteroids Galaxy Tour.  Had I heard of them?  No.  I hadn't!  She named her favorite song, I made a note of it, and as soon as they all left, I checked them out on iTunes.  Oh - Emily knows me well!  Few things get me bopping around like funky eclectic pop!  So I spent some time learning about them while I downloaded two of their albums!  They are danish.  They have brass in their ensemble!  The lead singer, Mette Lindberg, has one of the most distinctive female voices I've heard in a long time!  Although she's the front, the band is so interesting to watch as well!  It's not just about Mette.  I loved this group!  And, then, I about fell off my chair!  Come to find out, their song that I'm sharing with you today, was used in an Apple iPod Touch commercial!  Those who know me well, know my worshiplike love for all things Apple.  I consider it no small matter that both Apple and I have a fondness for The Asteroids Galaxy Tour music.    There are always good things around the bend - or just good things that are round - like pancakes, donuts, and these fiber and protein rich bread rounds that can be used for so many things!

As I mentioned above, I had my friends over for lunch yesterday.
It's the group of friends that I went to the beach with last year 
about this time and we made foil dinners.
It was a good time.
It's always a good time when we get together!

We needed to discuss an upcoming craft boutique 
we are having so I volunteered to host a luncheon.
We couldn't just get together and not eat, now could we?!
Haha!
No way!

So then I faced the dilemma of what I could serve that 
would help me stay on my new Mediterranean-based diet that I talked about last week.
I thought of making a pizza on a high fiber wrap but, so far, I haven't really come across a commercially produced wrap that I'm super crazy about.
So what if I just amped up my own pizza dough recipe and filled it with fiber?
That made me sad - because I've tasted whole wheat 
pizza crusts before and, yeah - sadness soon followed.

So what if I also put some of the things I usually put on 
TOP of the pizza INSIDE of the dough to help with the flavor?
And from that thought, these tasty rounds were born!

These make fabulous bases for pizzas but can also be cut
 into triangles and used as a dipping tool for hummus, yogurt, cheese spreads - you name it.
Fold in half and make a sandwich!

When I used the recipe tool in My Fitness Pal, it calculated the calories
 to be around 257 each for a yield of 6 rounds - giving 
you 8 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, and 40 grams of carbs.
If you divide them out into 8 portions, the calories drop to 192 for each round
and 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat, and 30 grams of carbs.
They don't tally fiber but with all that whole wheat 
and flaxseed it's gotta be good, right?

I know it has more calories than those store-bought wraps but 
I'm not sure I can be happy eating those for the rest of my life.
Just trying to keep it real, folks.
These taste great!
And I CAN be happy eating these!

I will share how I made them into a pizza next week because they were WONDERFUL!
But for now, just make up some rounds.
Fully bake some and use to dip or as a sandwich.
But par bake some and freeze for next week's recipe!
You'll be so glad you did!

Olive, Garlic, and Wheat Pizza Rounds
makes 6 or 8 rounds
Printable Recipe Card
1 package dry yeast, (2 1/4 t.)
1 t. sugar
1 c. very warm water
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (170 g)
1/3 c. flaxseed meal (35 g)
1 c. bread flour (145 g)
1 T. dried oregano
1 T. dried basil
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
20 black olives, chopped
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. corn meal

In a large bowl, or the bowl of your mixer, add the yeast and sugar and then pour the warm water over. Give a stir and let sit while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.  This mixture should become foamy as the yeast "grows."  If it doesn't, your yeast might be "dead" and you'll need to find some new yeast and start over.

While the yeast is growing, mix together in a separate bowl, the whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal, bread flour, oregano, basil, and salt.  Set aside.

Mince your garlic cloves and chop your olives and set aside.

Add the bowl of dry ingredients to the yeast mixture and, with a dough hook, start to mix the ingredients together on low.  Once the ingredients have started to come together, increase the speed to medium and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil in.  When the olive oil and other ingredients come together and wipe the sides of the bowl clean, increase the speed to medium high, that's about a 10 on my Cuisinart mixer, and knead for 4 minutes.

Add the olives and garlic and the 1/4 c. of all-purpose flour.  The flour helps introduce the new ingredients into the dough.  Turn the mixer on to medium at first and when the ingredients get pulled into the dough, knead for another minute then turn off.

Oil a large bowl with olive oil.  Remove the ball of dough from the dough hook and shape into a ball.  Wipe the top of the ball around the bowl to coat it with the olive oil, then place, dome side up, in the bowl.
Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place over the top of the dough, sprayed side against the dough.
This will keep the plastic from sticking to the dough.  Let rise in a warm place until double - about an hour.  Wow!  Look at it!
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal pieces.
Shape each peace into a disk and let rest for about 15 minutes, covered with a damp paper towel.
This gives the gluten time to relax so it won't fight you when you shape them into the rounds.

Prepare your cooking sheets or stones by lightly coating with spray and dusting with cornmeal.

After the dough has rested, take each piece of dough and roll out into a round, rolling to 1/8" thick and about 7 inches round.
Place each rolled round onto the cooking sheet or stone.  When all are rolled out and placed on the sheet, bake for 8 minutes.  This is a par bake.
You can now either cool and freeze them for later use - or go ahead and top with desired toppings and finish baking for another 5 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.




No comments:

Post a Comment